Thursday, March 31, 2005

Chapter 11-by Emily

Esther’s house was not at all like I expected it to be, it seemed just like any other antagonist’s house. Yes, Esther was in her 80's however anyone who had ever met her knew that she was defiantly not like the other olds. She told dirty jokes. About my grandparents. While I and about 30 other people were in the room. She was also notoriously known for talking. One time my cousin answered the phone and it was Esther on the other end. She talked for 30 minutes before he managed to tell her that no, grandma was not home, then she had a small algae bloom because he did not tell her sooner. Most conversations with Esther go somewhat like this
"hello"
then the talking starts and BAM! 45 minutes later and she is still talking and you are wondering how many times the excuse "I have to go to the washroom" can be used and she won’t get suspicious. You had hoped that when you came back she would have started to talk to someone else, but in fact she just hadn’t stopped talking at all and she somehow caught you and once again you were stuck listening about her dead husband (died 14 years ago, they were married in 35, he had a blue car....). The only good thing about these encounters with Esther are the stories that you get to tell afterward which go something like this
"Hey where have you been for the past 2 hours?"
"I was talking to Esther"
*looks ranging from terror and pity to impressed* "What did she talk about this time?" "Do you have that thing where it’s like you have cotton balls in your ears because she talked so loudly and directly into your ear?" "How did you escape?" "Did she tell you anything about her days of burlesque?" ...and so on.
Indeed when I endured The Great 80'th Birthday Party of 04 chat in which I somehow found myself alone in a room with Esther and she talked for 55 minutes straight I was regarded as a bit of a hero afterwards.
Anyway, as I approached Esther’s house all of these thoughts came back to me. These are most of the bad qualities which I tend to focus on. But let’s not get the wrong impression, Esther is by far the coolest person over 7 decades old that I have ever met. This was verified when she answered the door.
She was wearing a lime green vest with glow in the dark buttons. Her cane was zebra striped.
"Hello, do I know you?"
"Hi Esther, it’s Emily"
"Who? Are you back here trying to sell me cookies??"
"No, I’m Doarthy’s granddaughter"
"EMILY!!! How great to see you again!!!"
Then she dragged me into her house. We did have to get down to business. After all, the rest of my friends were out there on the streets trying to save Campbellford and their last hopes were on me!! I must act quickly!!!
*2 hours later*
Ether is still rambling on about how she used to take ballet as a child.
Good Lord, she never shuts up!!
I have tried several times to bring up my problem but she just talks right over me!!!
*20 minutes later*
Yes!!! Success!!!! I finally got my story of how the old people have broken out and taken over Campbellford out. Esther thinks it is absolutely tragic and is all for helping us!!!
We are going to head back to the cave now and share her plan with the other girls!!
DO NOT agree to ride with Esther in a car, especially when she is driving. It makes Ali look like Han Solo. And the car just amplifies her voice, oh god, I am doing to be deaf by the time we get back, then I can fit right in with the antagonists.

3 Comments:

Blogger So & So said...

so, i decided to write this in 1st person-sort of diary style-for a lot of reasons, i'm not sure if it worked out though..

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Susanne said...

I think it works. Nice break from the norm!

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home